If you are looking to insulate your house or a commercial building, the benefits of spray foam insulation are worth looking into.
Even though this type of insulation is generally more expensive than other types, the long-term benefit of foam spray insulation is that it can actually save you money on your bills.
They are two different types of spray foam insulation to consider. Depending on your needs, you can pick from the open cell or closed cell spray foam.
What is Spray Foam Insulation?
The basic principle behind spray foam is that it is coated onto an existing concrete or asphalt slab.
This type of insulation has existed for decades and it can withstand high temperatures.
This insulation is safe and can help decrease your energy bills while improving the energy efficiency of your home.
Spray foam insulation is designed for regular walls. It does not have foam coating so the quality can vary from product to product.
What Spray Foam Insulation Does
As you have probably figured out, spray foam insulation is a spray material.
The spray foam material is compressed air that is stored in a tank. The compressed air is sprayed on the wall or on a flat surface. The air displaces the surrounding air so it doesn’t have a chance to settle.
When the spray foam is used to insulate a wall, it is made into small “blobs”. Those blobs are only a few hundred microns in size. They are only 10% of the size of air molecules.
As the air is forced into the walls, it lifts any junk in the surrounding air. That causes the material to expand.
Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
Open Cell Foam
• Provides an alternative to rock wool.
• It has good chemical, fire retardant, and seismic resistance properties.
• Very easy to install.
• is odorless and fire-resistant.
• Resistance to water damage.
• Enables you to save money on your heating bills.
• Some homeowners prefer open-cell foam due to its ability to absorb sound.
Closed Cell Foam
• Inverted closed-cell foam offers thermal insulation with good abrasion and chemical resistance properties.
• Suitable for high voltage and thick walls.
• It is good for use in the basement and attics.
• The most popular closed cell foam in the market is called roto expand.
Who Should Use Spray Foam Insulation?
These foam insulation systems work great for long-term applications and should be used by anyone who plans on living in their home for the long term.
They do have drawbacks when used for shorter or temporary projects. Some of the disadvantages include:
- Lack of consumer support in the form of competition among companies.
- It is more expensive for contractors to install spray foam.
- Because of the lack of consumer support, the barriers to entry are extremely high. The warranties are often only for the manufacturer, and not the supplier.
- A main issue for consumers is that the trade is regulated through several different agencies. This can make it difficult to contact the manufacturers directly.
Should You Get a Foam Insulation Company to Do the Work?
The best way to insulate a home or business is to have an insulation company like Elkhorn Insulation do the work.
They are experts and experienced in the work. They should know the codes and regulations as well as insulating guidelines for each application.
Foam spray insulation work requires special equipment and precise measurements. There are not many types of spray insulation that work on a regular basis.
If you want to work with a professional spray foam insulation company, they should be experienced in the field. They should know the codes and regulations.
Insulation companies also have the ability to put down the right type of spray foam for the purpose you need it for.
If you have a new building that you will be living in for a long period of time, spray foam insulation can be an investment that pays off.
If you need insulation near Bozeman, Big Sky, Helena, or Townsend, Call us at (406) 949-0435 to get your foam insulation installed today.